Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Women of Gulu Welcome Lynne Back

Apwoyo: thank you! After all your supplies arrived 
safely in Gulu, every vehicle, even the ambulance, 
was enlisted to get the goodies over to the clinic!
A glorious day! Over 100 women walked from 
their villages to hear about the new maternity 
ward.  "this will not help us, we are too old. But 
it will help our daughters and grandchildren."
JoAnn and Sister Hellen told about the statistics on 
infant and mother mortality in Uganda.  The women 
listened with concern.
Father Cyprian promised the support of the parish.


...questions were asked and answered ....
When? How soon can our daughters be safe
giving birth?

Parish council members meet with us and
both their approval!
A late comer poles her way in on uneven crutches.

The Elders ask to have their picture taken 
with Lynne, pronounced, "Le-an."
An animated discussion results in my being given
an Acholi name, Aber, (pronounced ah-beh')
which means "Beautiful One"!
Fr Cyprian is pronounced an honorary woman,
to everyone's great delight, and the celebration
of a birthing center for the safety of the
mothers and babies is celebrated.
Lots of questions; good ideas about the resolution of
the land issue and the desire to get started!



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great pictures! I am so happy that you were able to go to Gulu and enjoy this moment! May the whole process really take off right away!
    Lovingly,
    Pat M

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Dear Lynne, AwGosh GollyGee Darn, Isn't it amazing to suddenly be this ancient? I'm so happy to be able to hold you in my mind's eye via your blog. I'm sad to hear of your physical problems. Aging is tawdry. I, too, have done the compulsory little times in hospital and bed-bound. I'm recovering. I don't want to talk of it here. I'm just glad to be able to draw breath and place one biped before the other. And I'm further delighted to share the planet with the likes of you, and that you apparently are still ambulating aboveground. I, too, am considering working on a blog, tho I admittedly have far fewer confederates concerned with my fate. I made pilgrimage to At. I Wept like a baby over the topographical and architectural changes. The hills and valleys have been leveled, My parish Church, the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception burned in '80, the center of peace in the world of my youth. So much I'd like to say, but, again, this is neither the place or time. I originally was reaching out to mention to you that one year from now, Martha Carpenter will be 70 years old. With all the grand shenanigans in your life, you probably don't have the time to think of her. However, she and Sr Ellen Yvonne still occur to me on occasion in quiet moments. I hope this finds your well. You look splendiferous. Love always, Lendon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Lynne,
    Thinking of you....every day.
    Missing you....a ton.
    Wishing you good days...the best.
    Sending warm thoughts....and big hugs.
    Loving you....so very much.
    Louise and Jeff

    ReplyDelete