Friday, March 9, 2012

March Update

Hello, blog Friends!

I know I have some catching up to do since I wrote one month ago.

They did start the new chemo, Abraxane. I am still so fortunate to be without pain or a sick stomach. This medicine makes me feel like I have a cold or the flu with soreness and head congestion. I did stay in bed a lot last week whenever I was not at work or meetings.

The biggest issue, other than the fatigue, is a blood clot in the vena cava and  atrium of my heart where the catheter enters. So, I have venous congestion characterized by occasional bright redness and swelling in my face (maybe just a big head). This Monday they will go in and try to remove the catheter and all or most of the clot. There are lots of options once they get in there and decisions will have to be made as they encounter them. Bottom line, the doctor (an interventional radiologist) thinks this is something I should just take care of to continue treating the cancer.

I was a little bummed, so Jo and I went to look at puppies. I am not planning on getting one, but they are good medicine. I reflected that if I ever did get one I would name her either Fanny Lou Hamer or Zora Neal Hurston! Carly is just still a very hard act to follow!

Rose Jonas and I went out to the Cancer Support Community to check out their services. I was impressed at how upscale it is and the variety of things they offer. And being the non-joiner that I am, I found it surprisingly comfortable. All their services are free, and I could see myself taking advantage of them farther down the road. There are also great offerings for care givers and family members, and they have something in Atlanta, too.

Just the last few weeks I am honored to be named for awards: The Trailblazer Award from Faith Communities United, the Distinguished Fair Housing Service Award from CREA and, dear to my heart, Doorways' own Michael Edlin Award. Rosie and Susie have been planning on bringing Cec here from LA to visit, and they have gotten her a ticket to be here for the Doorways Annual Dinner and my birthday! It should be fun! I hope I am not too boring from the vantage point of my bed!

Over the last several months we have been trying to get my private disability kick started. With all the help I have from Jo, Donn, attorneys and others, I cannot imagine how people without advocates do it! One of my doctors thinks the fax machine at the insurance company is connected directly to the shredder.

That's it for now. I will try to keep you posted sooner!
XOXO

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, Lynne. Know that you are in my prayers all the time, but Monday will be special! Sounds pretty serious to me, but you make it sound like it's just a small thing to keep the chemo up... You are a trooper, for sure, and deserve all the honors coming up. You go, girl!--- Pat M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn, Glad you started the Abraxane, and praying the clot can be removed by the interventional radiologist.... You deserve any and all rewards for you and the good work you have done and continue to do. Keep the updates coming.
    love and prayers,
    Nancy M in Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update. I check daily. Will be looking forward to the outcome of Monday's "surgery". Wasn't sure if that is what it's called. We think of you often and wish you could have mad it to Palm Springs. We have extended our stay until 4/11 so there is still time. Weather is great and Deb is setting the courses on fire....82 yesterday with a 37 1st nine. You would have been proud and in awe as I was. Congrats on the awards. You deserve every one and more. Love you, Arch & Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynne, I think of you often and wonder how you are doing. Sounds like as good as you can. You're attitude and spirit are an inspiration. You deserve every award you are given. I hope only the best for you, continued prayers your way. Patty Vehige

    ReplyDelete