Thursday, January 26, 2012

Flunking Platelets

It seems like a bunch of nuisance symptoms are getting in the way. Can you believe I flunked platelets? I was supposed to have chemo on Tuesday, and the blood tests showed I had only 43,000 platelets. That seems like a gracious plenty, but JoAnn says I’m supposed to have 200k to 400k. What a feeling of inadequacy!
My other new wrinkle is that I have cellulitis in both legs. Usually people don’t get it bilaterally, but it appears I am an over achiever in this regard. Basically my shins, calves and ankles started swelling, turning bright red and hurting like hell. Guido jumped on it immediately and took me to Siteman,  and they gave me ten days of antibiotics. It was hard to walk for a few days, and I had petechia……little red dots of blood showing just under the surface of the skin…..but now I am almost back to normal. I missed several days of gym and gained weight, hopefully just from the water retention. I had to quit the lovinex (sp?) shots in the stomach which are for the blood clot around my port, so that may become a problem. So, see what I mean by nuisance?
RED is coming up. Iris and Paula and Beth and Sandi are going to be here for it!
Finally, our staff at Doorways went together and had this serious and seriously beautiful bronze plaque made in memory of Carly. We will hang it in the memorial garden. What a thoughtful, loving gift! There is a photo here to show you.


3 comments:

  1. Sorry you "flunked" platelets, Lynne; and sorry, too, you are an over-achiever in bi-lateralism! However, I appreciated the update and the lovely remembrance of Carly! Am delighted that Paula, Beth and Sandi will join you for the RED Celebration. . . Love you as always! Cec

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn,
    Glad your on the antibiotics for the cellulitis. Platelets above 100k. are usually adequate for treatment...so we will pray for an increase. The memorial is lovely. Updates are a good thing. Have fun at the RED celebration. You have my support and love, Nancy in Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well there is nothing wrong with being an over achiever, all though at times it appears to set you back, maybe next week it will leap you over a hurdle! (prayers going that way!) Hoping to see you at RED, if not there in person I will be in spirit!

    Continued thoughts and prayers.

    Kelly Goersch
    thefourks@live.com

    ReplyDelete