Friday, November 4, 2011

A Missed Opportunity


Last night we had the RED SPONSOR'S party at Mark Spurrier and Karl Koesterer's. Wow, it was one of the best we have ever had. RED is really on a roll.


I got to speak and my usual task is to tell the story of the clients, the meaning of the mission, so we all can be reminded of why we are there: to house and care for poor people living with AIDS so they may have better health, improved quality of life and comfort and peace during their illness.


Well, I talked about my own health issues and how much they are like our clients'. About how humbling it is to be experiencing many of the symptoms they have and to be dependent on, and grateful for, the kindness of other people.


What I didn't think to say is how dreadful my life would be if I did not have housing or someone to take care of me. How nasty it would be to have diarrhea or nausea on the streets or in a shelter. How impossible it would be if I had children to take care of while I was sick...or my constant need to sleep, to get to the doctor, to take medicine at the right time, to bathe or to trim my daily disappearing hair. I missed the opportunity to be a witness, although a protected one, to the devastation of illness without housing.


Fortunately, Chuck Miller stepped up and covered the essence of our mission in his remarks. But I could have shown how real it is.

Next time I will. And I thank Chuck and Mark and Karl and all the chairs and sponsors who came!

And I still haven't heard anything back about Chuck's homemade chicken pot pies. Maybe I will soon!




3 comments:

  1. You look great, Lynne and I'm sure you did a great job! Looking forward to my and Gina's road trip next week to see you! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you shared what you did, Lynne . . . what you said is sooooo true . . . what would we do without the friends we have . . . Love as always, Cec

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to miss you and the Patron event Thursday, its a bummer that life gets in the way! Sometimes these great Dr's that help save our lives tend to run very late! I too through my illiness have realized how blessed I am to have all the friends I do. It has brought to light not only how lucky I am, but thankful I am that there is an organization like Doorways to help those who do not have family and friends to help them when they are at their lowest.

    Prayers and positive thoughts your way daily!

    Kelly Goersch

    ReplyDelete