Monday, November 7, 2011

Welcome to Minnesota!

I reflected that the blog about my journey with metastatic pancreatic cancer might look a little like a travelogue or a holiday letter about vacations, great friends and exceptional opportunities. It has been! I am forging my own answer to the question, "What would YOU do if you knew you only had a limited time to live?"

I am not trying to be morbid, and I hope to get a couple more laps around the track, and, as I mentioned before, I DID just sign a two year lease on a car (more on that later), but aside from the obvious pain in the ass of being sick and dying, this is the best. I have some Doorways responsibilities, and I have a pile of medical and insurance stuff to procrastinate about, but otherwise I am doing pretty much what I want to.

No more do I anguish about the expectations of others, or make myself do things I don't care to do, or should on myself like I might have in the past. JoAnn says I have lost my filter (did I have a filter?). I am freer with money. I don't mind insomnia, because I can do things I want to do and sleep.......whenever.

My niece, Mary Beth says skydiving should be on my bucket list, but the fact is that SHE is on my bucket list!

So my most recent vacation was with the Caven family in Minnesota this weekend. This is Mugs and her mom, siblings, outlaws and a multitude of grandchildren, nieces and nephews. I have spent a good bit of time with them over the past 25 years, but my insight this time was about how healthy and gracious Eleanor is, how generous and hospitable my generation is, and how engaged the young adult grand children are. I mean they sit around and play games and laugh and talk literally all the time they are together. And they all like each other more and more over the years I have known them.

So thanks Cavens and Burgers. I had a great time!

Lynne

6 comments:

  1. Am glad you have relinquished the "should filter"; would that we could all do that, and in my new situation, I am trying! Jo hit it "head on". Sounded like a good weekend; am glad about that, too. Love as always, Cec

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynne,
    It was SO good to have you and Joann visit us here in Minnesota! You are the generous and gracious one, and we wish you all the best. Thanks for coming north!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful weekend and what a nice tribute to my family. Very good to have you and Jo visit and I would have to say that you two were instrumental in us Cavens and Burgers laughing so much! Much love...Mugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn,
    Filter or no filter,be who you are and Live on.
    sounds like monnesota was a great adventure.
    love your sister in so many ways,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Theresa McCarthy Rachman!November 9, 2011 at 7:56 PM

    Lynne, you one brave person! You always were, when I was little & you big (cuz you are sooo much older than me!!!haha) you were strong & very sure of yourself!! I was almost star struck by your presence! You are powerful & you now how to stread your power. If I had a limited time here, I would spend it just as you, with people that I love. It is hard to hear such a terrible thing happening to such a good loving person who has devoted her life to others. People have learned alot by having you in their lives. Keep truckin!! I know, you are strong & will go on a very long time. Just keep doing what you do....Love, Theresa & Steven and our girls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynne, we are so happy and honored that you came up to Minnesota to see us. It was a wonderful weekend, having you and JoAnn as our guests, sharing lots of stories, fun memories and laughs. Thanks for coming. Love you Lynne! Best wishes.
    Louise and Jeff

    ReplyDelete