Monday, October 31, 2011

Last Chemo....stream of consciousness about travel, chicken soup, hair, friends and longevity.


I have only had chemotherapy twice, but already my life is organized around it in so many ways! This last 50 hour infusion was easier because I knew what to expect. I haven't been sick except for stomach stuff, freezing mouth and hands and maybe a cold coming on. But the fatigue is just killer. Even reading, which was my refuge, is too much energy to muster. Yet, I don't sleep. I have my own midnight in the garden of good and evil!

Visits from people have been great. When friends come for an hour and bring food, or help eat what someone else has brought here, it is the most fun. In fact, I am having quite a challenge in the Jew versus nun chicken soup contest. The Jews were way out ahead, but the sisters are making up ground steadily. I will need more entries to make a final decision, and several will have to be re-tested. I expect Sister Betty will take the baked goods single handedly once she finds some ripe bananas. I was kind of hoping for one of Chuck Miller's chicken pot pies.

The hair is coming out. I called Mary Sue and Alison last night to be sure I can get it shaved with their boys' clippers at short notice. Best part was Mary Sue has a new phone she does not know how to turn off, so I got to listen to her analyze what she should have said to me after she thought I was gone. LOL!

I am "off" this week. I do not have chemo, and I hope 
to get to Minnesota for the weekend to see Mugs and the northern sisters. I fact, I had hoped my hair would hold on until I got back. Last time I was at Doorways, I modeled a beret, a ball cap and a hard hat to determine how I should cover my head. I can't quite do the wig thing right now, since I hate anything on my head even in winter. Scarfs are a little too Cleopatra for my personality. I suspect I will wear some sort of a hat in polite company and "go rock" the rest of the time, as the Sistahs at Doorways have suggested. I'll just have to see what that pasty white head looks like. I don't know how low it will go, but I do remember Rosemary Bishop once saying, about losing pubic hair, "how would you make soap suds to wash?" Inquiring minds want to know........and with luck, you'll read it right here!

JoAnn has been my personal physician, sister servant, housekeeper, negotiator, shot giver, medicine keeper, caution minder, drama queen and CARE giver. I have asked so many times, how do people do this on their own?  Many kind people have taken on small and large tasks (if you have not been asked yet, don't feel bad. You ARE on the list!) and I am generally feeling well cared for and much loved, though I don't seem to have time or energy to thank everyone. It is humbling.

I miss being at work and with people there a lot! I am in touch with Joe Noelker, acting ED, and several board members and staff, but it is hard not to be part of the day to day. I hope to go to the board meeting and the RED Patron event at Casa Spurrier y Koesterer this week!

Lots of people, knowing the typically poor prognosis for this cancer, have asked, or hesitated to ask, what the outlook is. It seems like there are 1, 3 , and 5 year plans with rapidly decreasing probability. It sounds like I will stay on this toxic chemo, or some variation of it, for as long as I can stand it, every two weeks,  or until some other scientific opportunity emerges. In real terms, I am thinking about a two year lease on a car, and I hope I can get another afterwards!

I can't keep up with replying to comments on the blog, but I love them!  Please know how much they, and the cards, and the prayers, and the food and the errands, have all meant to me! I hope you can feel as personally thanked as I feel personally uplifted by all your good energy.

Love,

Lynne

9 comments:

  1. You can sure tell who that little Tomboy is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cardinal hat with the big redbird on it will be perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great trip to MN, and keep up the good work with the blog. I really enjoy reading your posts. Thinking of you and your family often.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really went "all out" on this one, Lynne! Loved every word . . . and all that's in between .... the pictures are great...am glad that both Evelyn and Betty are keeping the awesome threesome moving along. And your sense of humor does not seem to be suffering. Love you as always, Cec

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm afraid that the Jews are gonna whip you Catholics in the chicken soup department...but there's always music! Your hymns should beat them hands down. LOVE the pics and the blog! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me know about the buzz cut. I'm joining in in solidarity with you and Jon. I'm going to be checking out some snazzy caps to keep my lid warm during this time. Love you, love your blog. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What about the Methodists? We can make a pretty mean soup as well...wish I could bring you a pot of my mom's famous potato soup. It is the best. Lifted you up in prayer today at the lunchtime service at the Simpson Memorial Chapel in the United Methodist Building across from the US Capitol. You remain in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynne,

    Love the blog and the upbeatness of it all! Trying to wear purple all month long for you and my mother (4 1/2 year survivior!) as it is pancreatic cancer awareness month! The purple ribbon is right next to the red one, wear them both PROUD!

    Remember, bald is beautiful!

    Love ya!

    Kelly Goersch

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lynne,
    Want you to know you are in my thoughts. I follow your blog and thank you for sharing your journey with us.
    Sorry I couldn't make it back to MN for your visit but am there in spirit.
    Love you,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete